Are Christians Allowed to Have Fun?

Are Christians Allowed to Have Fun?
Turns out you can-- this is my wife and me in Chicago for an Alpha Conference

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Problem with a Gay Bishop

As most people who read the newspaper know, there is a firestorm raging in the Episcopal Church concerning the ordination of an openly gay bishop named Gene Robinson. It is a wildly divisive topic, and non-believers are weighing in on this church issue in record numbers. The media is in a frenzy, as it enables them to position Christians as mean-spirited and homophobic.

In response, I thought I’d interview myself on the topic, and try and shed some rationale light on the issue:

So how do you feel about homosexuals?


I am from the orthodox side of the church.

What’s that mean?

As a Christian, albeit a fairly new Christian, I now understand that God says quite clearly that all sex outside of marriage is a sin-- no worse than any other sin, but it is a sin.

So you think gays are sinners?

I think we’re all sinners. And yes, gay sex is a sin, because it’s sex outside of marriage.

How can gay sex be a sin? They’re born that way.


Then that makes them no different than me, because I was born heterosexual, and the sex I had before I was married was a sin, too. As a Christian, I understand that now, and as a result, I’ve said to God, “I’m sorry. Please forgive me for breaking your rules, and for any harm I did.” I now understand that God wants all our sexual activity to take place within a marriage. Why? Because people get hurt, and God doesn’t want people to get hurt.

Well, gays aren’t allowed to get married. What about that?


Marriage has been between a man and woman for thousands of years in every culture around the world. Every religion teaches that marriage is between a man and a woman. Are all religions and all cultures throughout history wrong? I can’t help but think there is some reason and some wisdom behind that concept of marriage.

So you don’t welcome gays in your church?

Gays are absolutely welcome to come sit in the pews along with the rest of us sinners.

Sure, as long as they don’t have sex?


Fortunately, it’s not my position to judge anyone-- gay sex is a sin like every other sin, and I sin all the time, so who am I to say?

So you’re saying it’s okay?

I didn’t say that… I base my beliefs on what it says in the Bible, and the sin of homosexuality is addressed in both the Old and the New Testament.

Well, homosexuals are born that way! How can you say that it’s a sin to be themselves?


There’s never been any proof of a “gay gene,” but let’s say they are born that way. In that case, they got a very bad break-- but we live in a fallen world. Bad things happen to good people all the time. Gay people have it extremely tough.

So why would God say it’s bad to be gay if he made them that way?

Well, if God did make them that way, then please remember this: Millions of people are born every year who face difficulties because of the way God made them. But the reason gay sex is a sin is the same reason sex out of wedlock is a sin: People get hurt. Feelings get hurt. Families get hurt. And a lot of it comes back to having sex out of wedlock.

What about gays who want to get married?


The Bible is very clear that marriage is between a man and a woman. Maybe God made that rule because He knows the homosexual life is painful, and He doesn’t want gays to act on their sexual feelings. After all, how many gay people have easy lives? It’s a very difficult life. Why? Why are these perfectly wonderful people so often unhappy? Is it possible that it’s because they are living an active, homosexual lifestyle?

So you’re telling me that a gay couple who lives together like they are married… and love each other… and do all the things you and I do… you think they are sinning?


What you want me to do is say something that sounds closed-minded and ignorant. And I’m not going to do that. The issue is very, very complex, and for guidance I choose to look to the Bible. If you don’t believe the Bible is true, that’s your choice. I don’t persecute gay people; I don’t look down on gay people; we’re all sinners, and we’re all in this together.

What about the gay Bishop?

The issue with the openly-gay bishop Gene Robinson is completely different, and actually quite simple: Gene Robinson joined an organization with extremely clear rules, all of which he understood and swore on the Bible to live by. He was married to a woman, and together they raised two children. Then, he demanded the rules be changed after he left his wife and began to act on his homosexual desires. He tried to get himself ordained as a Bishop in New York, then New Jersey, and only succeeded after moving to New Hampshire. Would he have been elected if he were living with his girlfriend? Not a chance. The conservative Church is not against Gene Robinson because he prefers sex with men; it’s because he has said through his actions, “The Bible is either flat-out wrong, or God has changed with the times.” For an orthodox Christian, this is known as heresy, because we believe neither of these things are possible.

Consider this: If you were a member of AA, then decided you wanted to start drinking again, would you show up at the meetings with a cooler of beer? No, of course not. You’d respect the other members’ decision not to drink. You may have decided drinking is no big deal, but you would respect your fellow members enough to either leave the cooler at home, or leave the organization. Not Gene Robinson; he has not only chosen to bring his cooler of beer, he’s lobbied himself into a leadership position.

But Gene Robinson has the support of the majority of the Episcopal Bishops. Doesn’t that mean you are out of touch? Isn’t it you who should find a new church?

Good question. Right now, I’m just trying my best to live by the original rules of the Episcopal Church, all of which come straight from the Bible and the beliefs of the early church. The leaders of the conservative side of the Episcopal Church are working very hard to provide a solution for all us “out of touch” Christians, and Heidi and I feel we owe it to them to wait and see what solution they offer.

Why is this such a big deal? Why buck the tide of progress?

Because, best I can tell, the God who created the Universe said it’s a big deal. And one day, I’m going to have to stand in front of Him and answer a lot of questions that run along the lines of “Why did you do ____?” I’m hoping to be able to answer at least some of them with the words, “Because You told me to.”

No comments:

Post a Comment